Observations:
This week I observed how important routines are at this age. I have gotten in my routine and know my job in the classroom but the kids have their specific way of doing everything and when to do it. This routine helps keep the classroom in order and takes care of a lot of behavorial issues. There is not much time for the students to talk or get in trouble with the schedule that they have. At this age, they are so stuck in their ways and change is hard for them to adapt to.
Learning Observations:
We have really been focusing on the beginning, middle, and end of stories during literacy stations. The reading level is to the point that most kids can read all of the words in their books, but are focusing so much on getting the words right that they miss what is actually happening in the book. In some literacy stations the students are reading by themselves or are practicing writing sentences with Mrs. Martin. In my literacy station we are trying to grasp what is happening in the stories so we are reading books without words so the kids have to rely on the illustrations.
Reflections:
I have been doing the calender (morning activities) for awhile now, but it is still tough getting the kindergartners to understand that Mrs. Hartline and I are different people and are going to teach differently. Since they are so young, they like their routines and it is taking some getting use to for them to see me teach the exact thing Mrs. Hartline has always taught but in a different way. I enjoy doing the calender and working with the class as a whole. I get a feel for having to keep the attention of all 16 students just like Mrs. Hartline has to do all the time.
Stories to Share:
All of my kids are so cute and it makes me happy everyday when they run to hug me when I leave! I love hearing their stories that they call me over to tell me during snack time or when they are walking from one table to another. I wish I saw more of them outside of school!
No comments:
Post a Comment