Read Alouds:
None!
Learning Experiences:
In class, we have been exploring what it takes to actually be a teacher and have started presenting our lessons. We got into groups and are teaching the class a lesson for about 25 minutes, which is a lot harder than it sounds (especially taking into consideration the age groups). I have learned that there always needs to be a back up plan incase technology fails or you get done teaching early.
Current Event:
http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2013/01/16/17gender.h32.html?tkn=QXUFJfZqaU%2BunJI6sKGDd8mx0mQEdpR95Mqe&cmp=ENL-EU-NEWS2
This article noted how girls are affected by the gender of their teachers, especially in the math field. Boys were not affected by the gender or the extent to their math qualifications, but the girls were. Girls performed better with male teachers than they did with female teachers who did not have masters in the math field. Although, the girls had higher test scores with female teachers with a math background than they did with male teachers. This study showed how the gender of the teacher affects girls, but has no affect on boys.
Quote of the Week:
The word "listen" contains the same letters as the word "silent" -Alfred Brendel
I chose this quote because I thought it was really funny and I appreciate it much more now that we are teaching lessons. A quiet class is much more easy to teach than a disruptive one, and much more learning will take place. It is also impossible to listen if others around are talking, or you yourself are talking. This is something else I have experienced in the past week as I have been the 2nd grade and 7th grade student.
Observations:
This may be a stupid observation, but I have observed my teacher's clothing lately. Since I have to dress up for the rest of the year in my classroom I have been noticing my teachers' attire. I may be reading too far into things but the ones that take their job seriously and I feel the most challenged in, dress the nicest. The ones that continually give me busy work and just want us to pass the course are the ones in the "black jeans". They are not physically wearing black jeans, but they are trying to be comfortable and get away with looking professional and not succeeding. I realized I actually respect the ones who dress nicely for their job more than the others because those teachers respect their position and their students enough to look nice everyday.
Reflections:
I feel like all my reflections are about college but that is what is on my mind most of the time so I am going to continue writing about it. It's really sad knowing that I have to leave all of my best friends in a year but lately I've been really excited to meet new people! I've been talking to a girl from roomsurf and it made me realize that I can make new friends and be okay. I was kinda stuck on the fact that I love my current friends and I don't need any new ones. I'm trying to focus on the happy parts and being excited about next year instead of the sad parts, I'll have a time for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment