Read Alouds:
None!
Learning Experiences:
We have started learning about brain-based learning but on the surface have been discussing teaching styles/strategies for when we go into the classroom! We talked about effective test questions and different types of games that could be used for learning in the classroom.
Current Event:
http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2013/01/10/16physical.h32.html?tkn=LYYFu5rSTJW8aTIxXPWjNGIqGABcJwPiNQeg&cmp=ENL-EU-NEWS1&intc=EW-QC13-ENL
This article talked about how the set up of a school can affect students and how the model is starting to change. The standard lockers, long hallways, and dark classrooms are being transformed into a more open space to promote unity, student engagement, and even safety. Some schools are giving their students a voice in how the layout will look and it is proven that student involvement cuts down on discipline issues. There is more room for responsibility to be taken and these schools are more focused on the kids than the teachers. I think this outlook is awesome and it will promote better behavior and learning in schools. I feel like DF falls into a lot of these "transformed" categories by having so many open spaces for students to interact (courtyard, commons, big hallways). DF also is very open with windows, especially in the cafeteria, and promotes each area of study in the building.
Quote of the Week:
"Every truth has four corners: as a teacher I give you one corner, and it is for you to find the other three." -Confucius
I like this quote because it gives the idea that teachers are the ones to get kids started, but the kids are the ones who get themseleves somewhere. The student has two options: decide to learn or not, if they take the first option then they will be able to discover the other three corners on their own and that will be their very own victory. This also says that a teacher has the capability to motivate their students to doing great things in life.
Observations:
I might have said this before, but it has become more evident to me now. Since being in teacher cadets I have really taken notice in my other teachers and their teaching styles. I now have recently learned the difference between having different teaching styles and needing to get a new one. I think when I leave a class happy or feeling like I have learned a lot, that I couldn't on my own, is when a teacher has a good teaching style and understanding of their students. For example, I leave TC and math both very happy but the way each teacher teaches is very different. Some of my classes is like a study hall, with my best friends, and I don't leave the class nearly as happy as I do after a math class. I have realized this is all the teacher's doing and how important it is to be a good teacher for that very reason. The ultimate goal for a teacher should be for their students to leave their class feeling happy and accomplished.
Reflections:
I think I have decided where I want to go to college which is kind of scary to me since I have been on the fence for so long. I haven't really told anyone so this is weird me putting it on my blog but I just wanted to! The other day I was thinking about making some plans for the month of July and then it occurred to me that soon after I will be leaving for college...as in that will be my last summer carefree with my friends and family. I've said all of this before but it never actually sunk in. My mom keeps telling me that I'm being dramatic and that "you're going to college, not dying" but I think it's a big deal and I'm going to keep acting like it. On a happier note, I have a lot of trips coming up that I am so stoked about going on!!! This is going to be a great year.
No comments:
Post a Comment