Sunday, March 17, 2013

3/17 Blog

Observations:

This week I observed how involved parents are at this age and how that factors into the classroom.  One child has obviously had some previous issues and there has been some parent-teacher communication about it.  Now Mrs. Hartline and Mrs. Martin have to keep a list of examples to report back to the parent of how this child acts up.  It is a lot more strenuous on the classroom because first of all, I'm sure this is not the only parent who requests something of this nature and second, class has to stop to report bad behavior.  This is something that definitely isn't seen in middle/high school and something that is hard to deal with.

Learning Experiences:

The kids have been learning about caterpillars and butterflies this week.  During their morning exercises on the board and read aloud, I have continued to work one-on-one with them in the hall on counting.  I then transition with them into activities like worksheets and their caterpillar books.  I've been impressed with both the teachers and students on how much can be done/incorporated on the kindergarten level.  On Thursday everyone got to observe some caterpillars they currently have in the classroom and then write a sentence about what they saw.  I've learned that the more responsibility you give the kids, the more responsibility they show!

Reflections:

Everyday I look forward to going to see my class; I wish I could stay with them longer! I am honestly surprised how much I love working with them and teaching them, I love what I am doing just as much as I love the kids.  Recently I have been able to connect with the students that are a little more shy and I feel like the kids are really starting to warm up to me.  I'm having a hard time not just giving them the answer, but making them sound out the words and get there on their own.

Stories to Share:

Walking into class everyday, all the kids say "hi Miss Kendall" and many of them either wave me over to their table or come over to me to show me what they are working on.  They are working on their caterpillar books and they really enjoy reading me sentences out of their books or showing me how well they are doing drawing their letters.  On Thursday I was talking to two girls and a boy who all sit at a table together and they were telling me what their stories were about.  One of the girls was explaining that the boy said he would write his story about whichever girl was the most quiet that day, but that the other girl won because she "wasn't playing that game".  I thought it was hilarious and so cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment