Monday, October 29, 2012

10/29 Blog

Read Alouds:

It's Not Easy Being a Bunny by Marilyn Sadler     ISBN: 0394861027
This was a cute book that could be used in an elementary classroom to teach kids to be comfortable in the skin they're in and to also be grateful for what they have. The bunny in this story tried to be every animal but a bunny because he didn't like the animal he was. At the end he discovered he didn't like any of the other animals and was happy as a bunny. Especially at a young age, kids get bullied and picked on and a book like this would help them to see that everyone is different but they are the best version of themselves.

Is There Really a Human Race? by Jamie Lee Curtis and Laura Cornell     ISBN: 0060753463
In this book, a child thinks that the term "human race" means a physical race. This would be great when talking about idioms in any grade. It could be paired with an activity to get children to write common idioms, what their literal meaning is, and what the intended meaning is. This is the second book this year that we have read by Jamie Lee Curtis and I love seeing an actress writing children's books.

The Monster at the End of This Book by Jon Stone     ISBN: 037582913X
I thought this book was hilarious which just shows that this book could be used for any age group. It was about how the reader should not turn the next page because Grover was scared of a supposed monster at the end of the book. It was a very interactive book which would be very fun in a younger classroom or as an icebreaker in an older one. This would be perfect to read on the first day of school because many of us are terrified on the first day, then come to find it was for no reason. It could also be used in a creative writing class to write about the student's biggest fear.

Halloween by Jerry Seinfeld     ISBN: 0316706256
This is another book I found myself laughing out loud at and I think would best be used in a middle school and up classroom. It would be great to teach students how to write with humor or even in an advanced art class. The illustrations were cartoon-like but very well done and could be used in a high school 2-D class. It was really fun and the perfect book to read around Halloween.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone excerpt by J.K. Rowling     ISBN: 0439708184
The excerpt was about Harry receiving the invisibility cloak from his father. Many activities could be done with Harry Potter, and it would usually be used in an older classroom but this excerpt could be used for any. A creative writing lesson could be paired with this to see the best/strangest gift you have ever gotten.

Learning Experiences:

I learned a lot from just hanging out with the Special Education class. It was such an awesome experience and it broke my heart knowing that they are just teenagers like us and want to be treated as such but sometimes can't perform like we can. Going out "into the field" compared to just reading about it in a book takes it to a whole new level and I learned so much that day. I feel a lot more prepared for the next time we get to spend a day with them and even how to approach them in the hall. I think so many people, with all different types of barriers, are so misunderstood and after reading about them I feel much more informed.

Current Event:

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/10/11/news/midcoast/school-district-sending-entire-staff-to-technology-conference/

In Maine, 250 teachers were required to go to a seminar on learning technology. The district decided it would be beneficial for all teachers to go so that once they have been equipped with the technology, they know how to use it and how to better their classroom with it. It was said that many people complained about wanting new "things" like iPads and Macbooks but no one talked past buying all of this technology. It is expected to increase the use of technology in classrooms and the knowledge of how to among teachers.

Quote of the Week:

"Teaching is the profession that makes all other professions possible"

This is so true and teaching is completely overlooked. No one could have the degree or job they have now without the classes they took to know how to do it. Teaching is the most important profession and one that will always have jobs because every other profession stems from teaching. This is a great point that was made and it is sad how so many people devalue their education when really it is the foundation of their future.

Observations:

I've observed that a lot of the barriers we have been learning about aren't necessarily external. I've also realized that many of them are out of people's control and it is really sad often they occur. Even looking at one of the first "death, dying, and grief", I know so many people who have had to deal with this and I am only 17. Since I have read about these barriers and been learning about them I have also been more aware of classmates dealing with this and I feel much more sympathetic. It's crazy how much we learn in this class applies to everyday life and I definitely feel like I have grown as a person because of that.

Reflections:

I know it is really early but I am stressing out about where to go to college. I have narrowed it down to two that I am interested in but this is my whole future on the line and that is a scary thought. Another scary thought that I have been faced with lately is not living in my house/in my bed/with my sister/in my neighborhood/in Irmo. I am terrified. Obviously this is unavoidable but I am very comfortable with how my life is and enjoy my quiet/alone time....not exactly a dorm room characteristic. This is ridiculous but I think I am most stressed out about my future roommate. I cannot live with a crazy. I really would like to room with a friend but that is also iffy. I wonder if I can just pack my younger sister up and bring her with me? I am very high maintanence if you couldn't tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment